Sunday, June 20, 2010

Name Calling













This is my response to a rude girl on facebook. What I wanted to say was.... "If you are trying to flirt with my brother why don't you just tell him he is handsome and funny. Instead, you use reverse psychology and tell him he is an ugly whore. Do you think this will work on him? I don't instead he will put you in the sort-of-friends category forever. No one wants to date a person who puts them done for fun"

There is a growing trend in our culture to use "name calling" as means to show people a few things.
1. How close we are to them that we can joke the way siblings used to fight when they were wee babies.
2. That we are witty and deserving of laughte
r and praise.
3. The use of these names as term sof endearment to make up memorable.

I am just so sick of it. In fact this is not the first time I have commented on someone's facebook
comment of what a bad idea this is! Maybe it is the teacher in me, but I know that this is damaging to most people. I would never want someone to call me a fugly slut to show me how much they care. In case you were wondering here is another.... she also never dated my brother.

I encourage us all to stand up to rude name calling and make this world a better place!


2 comments:

  1. ok I really needed to edit this before I posted! so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got to say, calling someone a fag is highly insulting, period. Emma wouldn't call your brother the n word and yet she feels fine lightly typing out "fag." Ignorant people like that drive me crazy. She probably hated you just a little bit for posting that though. :) Who cares? She'll never be your sister-in-law.

    ReplyDelete