Monday, February 15, 2010

A day of love


To all my fellow lovers of men in the world,

With a cat in my lap and coffee brewing I contemplate what really happened yesterday. It was not that it didn't meet expectations, or fulfill the gift quota, or commemorate love. In fact Ben exceeded those categories. I just always feel like it wasn't the "perfect day." This tends to frustrate me every Valentine's day. I set myself up for failure. As a romantic I believe that everything about the day will be as spectacular as it should be. Countless hours could have been spent in preparation. Each reaction to a word or present is given with enthusiastic feeling. Instead I am met with the ordinariness of each day of my life.

I began to consider this phrase ordinary. Could not my ordinary be someone else's extraordinary? Ben has never taken me for granted. He buys me presents often, and he loves affection. Why would an ordinary day not be extraordinary? It seems to me that I need to change the way I think about what my husband provides naturally. He is a gift giver. He is very thoughtful. He gives me the affection I need and want. But most of all, he loves me deeply and fully. What more does a woman want? Forget about Valentine's day and hello Monday... :)

3 comments:

  1. I love this. And I love that you have a blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this too. And yes, I will comment on everything. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephanie, thank you for your comment on my blog! It warmed my heart. I just read all of your blog posts, and I like them all. But this one is something great for me to think about. Appreciating the men we have been given is a very good thing. :-)

    ReplyDelete